Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- A Cedar Rapids man will spend up to 15 years in prison for his role in a 2012 Iowa City break-in that left a man shot.
Assistant Johnson County Attorney Dana Christiansen said 20-year-old Andrew D. Meyer pleaded guilty Friday to second-degree burglary and assault causing serious injury. The sentences on the two charges will run consecutively for a term of no longer than 15 years, Christiansen said.
Meyer had originally been charged with attempted murder and going armed with intent.
Police said Meyer and 21-year-old Peter F. Thullen, also from Cedar Rapids, broke into an Iowa City home on Nov. 18, 2012, to collect a drug debt. During the burglary, a resident was shot in the torso. The man could have died of his injuries, police said.
Thullen was sentenced last month to up to 25 years in prison for first-degree burglary and up to 10 years for willful injury causing serious injury.
Christiansen said two victim impact statements were filed with the court, but no victims appeared at Friday's sentencing. Meyer also did not make any statements.
Meyer's charges do not come with a mandatory minimum number of years to be served.