Carbon Monoxide Leak Sends Eight to Hospitals

KCCI.com

Tools

By Aaron Hepker

DES MOINES, Iowa —Eight people including an infant were taken to metro hospitals Friday after a carbon monoxide leak was detected.

A woman first reported to authorities about 7 a.m. that she had had a headache for four days.

Des Moines Fire Department spokesman Capt. Steve Brown said that when firefighters arrived the woman who answered the door collapsed.

As firefighters investigated, they said they found high levels of carbon monoxide in the home in the 1300 block of 11th Street in Des Moines.

A mother and two children were taken to Mercy Medical Center for treatment. An additional five people were taken to Methodist Medical Center. Their names and conditions are not yet available.

Firefighters said carbon monoxide problems are commonly associated with furnaces and water heaters. The home did not have a carbon monoxide detector, officials said.

Conversation Guidelines

Be Kind

Don't use abusive, offensive, threatening, racist, vulgar or sexually-oriented language.
Don't attack someone personally. Keep it civil and be responsible.

Share Knowledge

Be truthful. Share what you know and what you are passionate about.
What more do you want to learn? Keep it simple.

Stay focused

Promote lively and healthy debate. Stay on topic. Ask questions and give feedback on the story's topic.

Report Trouble

Help us maintain a quality comment section by reporting comments that are offensive. If you see a comment that is offensive, or you feel violates our guidelines, simply click on the "x" to the far right of the comment to report it.


read the full guidelines here »

Commenting will be disabled on stories dealing with the following subject matter: Crime, sexual abuse, property fires, automobile accidents, Amber Alerts, Operation Quickfinds and suicides.

facebook twitter rss mobile google plus
email alerts you tube hooplanow pinterest instagram

What's On KCRG