Bellevue Couple Remain Hospitalized After Garage Fire

Tools

By Ellen Kurt

BELLEVUE, Iowa (AP) — An eastern Iowa couple remain in the burn unit of the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics after a fire in their garage last Sunday morning.

The Dubuque Telegraph Herald reports that Rhonda and Josh Fondell, of Bellevue, were injured in the fire.

Bellevue Fire Chief Kent Clasen says the couple were organizing items in their garage, including a gun safe, when a container of black rifle powder got too close to a hot light source. The container melted and the powder ignited, causing a flash fire. The couple fought the fire with hand extinguishers, receiving second- and third-degree burns on various parts of their bodies.

The hospital declined Saturday to release the conditions of the couple.

Conversation Guidelines

Be Kind

Don't use abusive, offensive, threatening, racist, vulgar or sexually-oriented language.
Don't attack someone personally. Keep it civil and be responsible.

Share Knowledge

Be truthful. Share what you know and what you are passionate about.
What more do you want to learn? Keep it simple.

Stay focused

Promote lively and healthy debate. Stay on topic. Ask questions and give feedback on the story's topic.

Report Trouble

Help us maintain a quality comment section by reporting comments that are offensive. If you see a comment that is offensive, or you feel violates our guidelines, simply click on the "x" to the far right of the comment to report it.


read the full guidelines here »

Commenting will be disabled on stories dealing with the following subject matter: Crime, sexual abuse, property fires, automobile accidents, Amber Alerts, Operation Quickfinds and suicides.

facebook twitter rss mobile google plus
email alerts you tube hooplanow pinterest instagram

What's On KCRG