Murder Trial for Man Accused of Killing Cab Driver will Remain in Story County
By Trish Mehaffey, Reporter
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa -- A judge denied a request Friday to move the murder trial for a man accused of killing a cab driver to Polk County, which previously had a change of venue to Story County.
Sixth Judicial District Robert Sosalla said in his ruling nothing exists to indicate Johnathan Mitchell, 33, of Cedar Rapids, can't receive a fair and impartial trial in Story County District Court. Any race bias or other prejudicial issue could be addressed during jury selection, he said. The trial is reset to Oct. 23 in Nevada.
Mitchell asked the court to move the reset trial because there was a lack of blacks in the Story County jury pool.
The trial ended before the second day of jury selection Aug. 15, because the prosecutor had a serious medical condition. There were no black people in the prospective jury pool of 57. A mistrial was declared because it was unclear when the prosecutor would return to work.
Mitchell is charged with first-degree murder and first-degree robbery. He is accused of stabbing to death Cathy Stickley, 54, a Century Cab driver, April 29, 2011. According to a criminal complaint, Stickley was found dead by her vehicle in the 1500 block alley between Second and Third avenues SE in Cedar Rapids. Stickley died of multiple stab wounds to her neck and head
What's On KCRG