ISU Dietitian: Healthy Snacks
The New Year is here, which means you have likely resolved to get healthier or spend your money wiser. Why not do both? With these recipes you will not only be eating healthier, but you will also be spending less that $1 per snack!
1. Fruit and yogurt parfait
2 cups cut-up fresh fruit or unsweetened frozen fruit, thawed and drained
2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
Optional ingredients: 4 Tablespoons raisins, dried fruit, chopped nuts, sunflower seeds, or crunchy cereal
Serving size: 1 cup
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition information (per serving): 100 calories, 6 g of protein, 80% of Vitamin C needs, 20% of Calcium needs
2. Tzatziki with pita chips
1 unpeeled cucumber, washed and sliced lengthwise
1 teaspoon garlic, peeled and minced (about 1-2 cloves)
2 containers (6 ounces each) plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon dried dill and/or fresh mint
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Use a spoon to scrape out cucumber seeds. Dice the cucumber into small pieces or shred using a grater.
2. Spread cucumber on paper towels on top of a paper towel. Roll up the towels and squeeze to remove excess liquid. Transfer dried cucumber to a large bowl.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and mix. Cover and refrigerate until served.
Ingredients for Pita Chips:
6 whole wheat pita pockets (6")
1/2 teaspoon spice (choose one or combine dried rosemary, basil, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne pepper)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cut pita in 8 wedges, spray with oil, and sprinkle with seasoning.
3. Toast chips 4-5 minutes, then turn and toast 1-2 minutes more. (Watch carefully at the end because they can quickly turn brown.)
Serving size: ¼ cup tzatziki with six pita chips Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition information (per serving): 130 calories, 7 g of fat, 200 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein
3. Popcorn trail mix
6 cups air popped popcorn
2 cups chocolate Chex®
2 cups toasted oat cereal
2 cups pretzel twists
2 cups honey flavored shredded wheat
1 cup peanuts (optional)
Serving size: 1 cup
Yield: 14 servings
Nutrition information (per serving): 110 calories, 1 g of fat, 190 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein, 20% of daily value of iron