Cedar Rapids Man Leads Police on Second High-speed Chase in a Month

By Christy Aumer, Reporter


By Ellen Kurt

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - A Cedar Rapids man could face additional charges after leading police on a second high-speed chase in a month with the same vehicle, officials said.

Courtney M. Beard, 26, of 1503 Center Point Rd. NE was taken to St. Luke's Hospital around 10:30 p.m. Monday, for a complaint of pain after leading police on a high speed chase, crashing into a snow bank and running from officers. According to authorities, the chase began after police attempted to stop Beard who was traveling about 52 mph in a 30 mph zone near the 300 block of 29th Street NE. Officials said Beard didn't stop, and instead turned onto First Avenue and began traveling at about 70 mph. He then turned onto 32nd Street and began driving around 90 mph and then entered Interstate 380 heading southbound, authorities said.

Beard continued to travel on I-380 southbound driving at about 100 mph in a 55 mph zone near J Avenue. Officials said he exited the Interstate at H Avenue, lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a snow bank at the bottom of the off-ramp. Authorities said Beard left the vehicle and began running towards Shaver Road NE. Beard led officers into a parking lot and around several truck trailers, and then back towards Shaver Road NE where he slipped on ice and fell, authorities said.

Beard was then taken to a nearby hospital for complaint of pain, and after being released was taken to the Linn County Jail on a $9,150 bond. Beard could face charges of interference with official acts, driving while barred, attempting to elude, failure to maintain control, failure to provide proof of insurance and speeding.

About two weeks prior to this incident, Beard was arrested after driving off during a traffic stop and leading police on a chase in southwest Cedar Rapids. The chase was later called off because it was near a school, and authorities knew it was Beard because he handed an officer his college identification card when he was pulled over. Beard was taken to the Linn County Jail on Friday, December 14, but later released on his own recognizance.

Beard was driving a white Pontiac Grand Prix in both chases. Police did not know the driver of the vehicle was Beard until after he was taken in custody, Sgt. Cristy Hamblin said.

Conversation Guidelines

Be Kind

Don't use abusive, offensive, threatening, racist, vulgar or sexually-oriented language.
Don't attack someone personally. Keep it civil and be responsible.

Share Knowledge

Be truthful. Share what you know and what you are passionate about.
What more do you want to learn? Keep it simple.

Stay focused

Promote lively and healthy debate. Stay on topic. Ask questions and give feedback on the story's topic.

Report Trouble

Help us maintain a quality comment section by reporting comments that are offensive. If you see a comment that is offensive, or you feel violates our guidelines, simply click on the "x" to the far right of the comment to report it.

read the full guidelines here »

Commenting will be disabled on stories dealing with the following subject matter: Crime, sexual abuse, property fires, automobile accidents, Amber Alerts, Operation Quickfinds and suicides.

facebook twitter rss mobile google plus
email alerts you tube hooplanow pinterest instagram

What's On KCRG