Working Smoke Alarm Alerts Family of Early Morning Fire

Tools

By Liz Blood

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - Officials now say an electrical problem with a bathroom fan is responsible for a fire that left a family of two without a home.

It happened at about 1 a.m. Sunday morning at 2049 Franklin Avenue NE in Cedar Rapids.

Fire officials say a working smoke alarm woke up the two people living in the home, giving them enough time to escape safely.

When firefighters arrived, they found flames covering a back wall of the home. Fire crews contained the damage to the upper level, but it was extensive. Crews say they had to cut a ventilation hole in the roof and there was damage throughout the main level.

Emergency responders treated both residents for smoke inhalation on scene. The Red Cross also arrived to help the displaced family.
facebook twitter rss mobile google plus
email alerts you tube hooplanow pinterest instagram

What's On KCRG