Waterloo Recycling Fire May Have Smoldered for Days

Tools

By Katie Stinson

WATERLOO, Iowa - Firefighters fought a fire at the Cedar Valley Recycling and Transfer in Waterloo Monday morning.

Crews arrived around 7:30 a.m. and worked for several hours to put out a fire that may have been smoldering for days. Waterloo Fire Department Battalion Chief Mike Moore said employees at the recycling company tried to put out the fire before calling for help. One of the employees was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Moore said the fire was likely caused by moldy cardboard. Wet cardboard had been packed in the building for days causing it to mold and heat up. When workers stirred the fire, it caused flames.

Firefighters finally packed up at around noon Monday. They said putting out the fire was a slow process because they had to dig out smoldering pieces from massive piles of recycled cardboard.

Conversation Guidelines

Be Kind

Don't use abusive, offensive, threatening, racist, vulgar or sexually-oriented language.
Don't attack someone personally. Keep it civil and be responsible.

Share Knowledge

Be truthful. Share what you know and what you are passionate about.
What more do you want to learn? Keep it simple.

Stay focused

Promote lively and healthy debate. Stay on topic. Ask questions and give feedback on the story's topic.

Report Trouble

Help us maintain a quality comment section by reporting comments that are offensive. If you see a comment that is offensive, or you feel violates our guidelines, simply click on the "x" to the far right of the comment to report it.


read the full guidelines here »

Commenting will be disabled on stories dealing with the following subject matter: Crime, sexual abuse, property fires, automobile accidents, Amber Alerts, Operation Quickfinds and suicides.

facebook twitter rss mobile google plus
email alerts you tube hooplanow pinterest instagram

What's On KCRG