Tipton High School Dismisses Following Problem with Smoldering Material

By Dave Franzman, Reporter

Tools

By Ellen Kurt

TIPTON, Iowa - Students at Tipton High School were dismissed early Tuesday morning after school officials and firefighters discovered some kind of smoldering material in a school auditorium.

Superintendent Dick Grimoskas said the odor and smoke originated in an area where a remodeling project was under way. Grimoskas said there were no visible flames, but the school was dismissed as a precaution.

Construction workers discovered the problem late Monday night and thought they had it under control. However, the smoldering began again early Tuesday morning, prompting the dismissal.

The superintendent said there was no assessment of damage yet. He said the possible source of the smoldering is some insulation that was going to be removed as part of the construction process anyway. Firefighters were tearing into the auditorium roof to try and locate the source of the problem.

Students were dismissed for the day at 9:30 a.m.
facebook twitter rss mobile google plus
email alerts you tube hooplanow pinterest instagram

What's On KCRG