Dubuque Man Charged with Terrorism After String of Gun Violence

By Katie Wiedemann, Reporter

Tools

By Katie Wiedemann

DUBUQUE, Iowa - A Dubuque man has been charged with 2 counts of terrorism, accused in a string of gun violence last week according to police.

Authorities said Michael Lewis, 25, fired shots near a park full of children on Wednesday, June 12th. Lewis has been charged with two counts of terrorism.

Iowa State laws defines that as using a weapon to intimidate or create fear among a group of people. Police said when Lewis fired a shot, the bullet hit a parked car then ricocheted and hit nearby Operation New View.

Tom Stovall is the director of Operation New View. He said the stray bullet broke through a third floor window of the agency and landed inside a stairwell. He said employees heard the glass break. No one was hurt.

Dubuque Police said terrorism is the most appropriate charge. "It does fall into that part of the code where the actions did create a sense of fear and intimidation to the occupants of that building," said Dubuque Assistant Police Chief Terry Tobin.

If convicted on the terrorism charges, Lewis could spend up to 50 years in prison.
facebook twitter rss mobile google plus
email alerts you tube hooplanow pinterest instagram

What's On KCRG