Bond Set at $500,000 for Man Accused of First-degree Murder

By Trish Mehaffey, Reporter


By Aaron Hepker

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — A Central City man accused of killing a Cedar Rapids man last Thursday told police “It just got out of hand,” while being treated at the hospital for injuries, according to a criminal complaint.

A judge set a $500,000 cash only bond for Martin Wilkinson, 63, who was charged Tuesday in Linn County District Court with first-degree murder and possession of a firearm by a felon. He is accused of shooting and killing Gregory O’Hare, 47, of Cedar Rapids, with an Astra A-7- handgun last Thursday.

Wilkinson, 63, who appeared by video from the Linn County Jail, didn’t say anything except to answer the judge’s questions about his employment and an attorney. He said he wasn’t employed and relied on Social Security for his income.

The Linn County Attorney’s Office asked the court to set a bond and the Sixth Judicial District Department of Correctional Services recommended no release based on the nature of the alleged crime and Wilkinson’s previous criminal history. Wilkinson has previous convictions of two OWIs, escape, intoxication and interference with official acts.

According to the criminal complaint, witnesses who heard gunshots Thursday discovered O’Hare’s body Friday in a rural area a short distance from Wikinson’s home at 2567 Windy Hill Circle in Central City, according to a criminal complaint. Investigators discovered a trail of blood and tire tracks leading from the body to an ATV parked near Wilkinson’s house. Blood was also found on the ATV and on the ground outside the house.

After a standoff with police last Friday, a search warrant was obtained and officers arrested Wilkinson and found several firearms inside, including the loaded 9 mm Astra, which was used in the shooting.

According to an autopsy, O’Hare was shot at least eight times and five of those went into his back. He died of multiple gunshot wounds.

Wilkinson, while being treated at Mercy Medical Center for injuries suffered before the standoff, made the statement “It just got out of hand,” according to the criminal complaint. No further information was in the complaint about the incident.
facebook twitter rss mobile google plus
email alerts you tube hooplanow pinterest instagram

What's On KCRG