Court Suspends Attorney 60 Days After Crack Charge

By Trish Mehaffey, Reporter


By Katie Stinson

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - The Iowa Supreme Court suspended the license of a Cedar Rapids lawyer who was convicted earlier this year for possession of crack cocaine.

Stanley Roush, 52, who has be a licensed attorney since 1984, cannot practice law for 60-days, according to Friday's court ruling. Within 45 days of the suspension, Roush must also provide the court with a mental health evaluation by a physician indicating he is fit to resume practice and has complied with any mental health treatment suggested and a substance abuse evaluation indicating his fitness to practice law.

Roush's alcohol problem and family-related stress - a divorce and custody issues - led him to try crack cocaine, Roush told the court's Attorney Disciplinary Board. He also started using marijuana in 2002 which led to a 2003 conviction in federal court for misdemeanor possession for attempting to take marijuana through airport security.

According to the ruling, Roush started using crack cocaine every couple of months in 2007 or 2008 and began using it every month leading up to his November 2011 arrest.

Roush was charged with possession of crack cocaine after he made a $200 controlled purchase of crack cocaine from an apartment complex in Cedar Rapids, which involved a confidential informant, according to a plea agreement. The informant told drug task force officers that Roush smoked crack cocaine with her once a month and gave her money to purchase crack cocaine.

Police observed Roush purchase the crack cocaine and approached Roush when he stopped at a gas station after the purchase, according to the plea agreement. When he saw the officers approach his vehicle, Roush threw the crack cocaine behind his seat and told them he swallowed it. The crack cocaine was subsequently found by officers during a search of Roush’s vehicle.

Roush also was fined $2,500 and ordered to pay an additional $150.20 for the costs of prosecution. He was also ordered to serve a one-year term of supervised release after the jail time.

Roush reported his conduct to the board after his arrest and said he was willing to accept the "appropriate sanction." After his hearing before the Grievance Commission, he wrote a letter to the commission saying he had sought treatment for alcohol and substance abuse.

Conversation Guidelines

Be Kind

Don't use abusive, offensive, threatening, racist, vulgar or sexually-oriented language.
Don't attack someone personally. Keep it civil and be responsible.

Share Knowledge

Be truthful. Share what you know and what you are passionate about.
What more do you want to learn? Keep it simple.

Stay focused

Promote lively and healthy debate. Stay on topic. Ask questions and give feedback on the story's topic.

Report Trouble

Help us maintain a quality comment section by reporting comments that are offensive. If you see a comment that is offensive, or you feel violates our guidelines, simply click on the "x" to the far right of the comment to report it.

read the full guidelines here »

Commenting will be disabled on stories dealing with the following subject matter: Crime, sexual abuse, property fires, automobile accidents, Amber Alerts, Operation Quickfinds and suicides.

facebook twitter rss mobile google plus
email alerts you tube hooplanow pinterest instagram

What's On KCRG