UPDATE: Sheriff: Custodian stopped school shooting

By  | 

ROCKFORD, Wash. (ABC) -- Authorities say a school custodian was the staffer who stopped a student from continuing a shooting rampage that killed one student and injured three others at a Washington state high school.

Freeman High School | Photo Date: 9/13/2017

The Spokane County Sheriff's Office said Wednesday evening that the custodian approached the shooter at Freeman High School Wednesday morning during the incident and ordered him to surrender.

The sheriff's office says a deputy who works as a school resource officer arrived shortly thereafter and took the shooter into custody.

Also on Wednesday evening the sheriff's office described the three students who were shot and wounded as seriously injured. Authorities said previously the injured students were expected to survive.


A student opened fire at a high school in a tiny town south of Spokane Wednesday, killing one student who tried to stop him, injuring three others and sending worried parents to the school in a frenzied rush, authorities said.

An active shooter call came in at 10:00 a.m. sending officers racing to Freeman High School, then going room to room finding multiple students shot.

Police said the shooter is a male student who came armed with multiple guns. One student tried to stop him.

"He attempted to fire one weapon, it jammed. He went to his next weapon and a student walked up to him, engaged him and that student was shot. That student did not survive," said Spokane County Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich.

The suspect then shot and wounded three other students. Kids and teachers huddled in locked-down classrooms, while parents rushed to school in an agonizing wait for news.

Police arrested the shooter.

"I'm with the suspect in the vehicle and he again is telling me he is the only shooter."

Student Michael Harper says the suspect recently warned others that something bad was coming.

"He was handing out notes to his friends and it said he was going to do something stupid that might get him killed or in jail - and when I talked to him about it he said that was in case something stupid happened."

Harper says that information was passed on to school officials, but police could not confirm that.

"I don't think anyone can make any sense out of this," said Sheriff Knezovich.

Wednesday night hospital officials say the three teens who were wounded are in stable condition and expected to recover.